<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

18/05/2014

My First Crème Caramel/Flan/Caramel Custard




As-Salaamu Alaykum,

Crème Caramel, A French classic that is sweet, soft, smooth and so satisfying!
For the most part I followed James Martin's recipe but instead of using dariole moulds I used ramekins.

As firsts go generally the results were pleasing, I'm so glad I didn't burn the caramel as I used a non stick pan and to most that is a NO NO.

My crème caramels tasted slightly eggy which after some research could mean they were overcooked or my eggs weren't so fresh.

Notes for next time:-
  1. Make sure oven temp is correct and check if cooked after 30 minutes instead of 40 minutes.

  2. Caramel - do not stir but tilt the pan to swirl the caramel and achieve even colour.

  3. Use fresh eggs for custard, older eggs = more eggy taste

  4. Do NOT whisk custard before pouring into ramekins but DO stir. Whisking = more bubbles = rubbery texture instead of silky smooth.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 20 May 2014 at 12:02 , Anonymous myninjanaan.com said...

I LOVE creme caramel! Yours looks lovely! The caramel turned out sooo perfect mashAllah! :)

 
At 20 May 2014 at 17:30 , Anonymous UmmHamza Asmaa said...

JazakAllah khair ukhti ❤ i've had my battles with caramel before but the no stir just swirl method works alhamdulillah

 
At 29 May 2014 at 03:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's probably where my issue is... my caramel always seizes up, but that's probably because I used to stir it. JazakAllah khair for the idea! :)

 

Post a Comment

Got a question? want to share your thoughts? leave a comment here.
*Please note, your comment will be visible after it has been approved *

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home